I’m thrilled to have played a big part in bringing this to Madison with the Madison transit API. What started out as a weekend hack three years ago has become a core Madison service.
Hitting the two million mark2013 was the year the API entrenched itself as a pillar in the Madison transit system and I’m blown away by it. With very little overhead or attention from me, here’s what happened in the last twelve months.
- 11 new developers for a total of 48
- API traffic went from 100,000 requests/week to 2,000,000 requests/week
Apps released by developers this year
- UW began installing bus kiosks throughout campus
- UW integrated the API into their campus map
- Madison Library added a web widget to their web page
- Preston Austin and Steve Faulkner integrated the API into a turn-key Raspberry Pi kiosk project
- Foursquare integration
- A first-class web interface for the Metro - http://madb.us
- A minimalist web interface - http://busmsn.com
- iPhone/Android app - The Transit App
- iPhone app - Mad Next Bus
Watch the Transit API visualized in real time.